In Korea camping is not really an exercise in roughing it. Actually its seems more like an overnight show and tell. People bring tents that are so large and overly complicated that it takes almost 2 hours to set up their tents. 2 HOURS. One student of mine said that its not setting up a tent its a "construction job". Now I am not saying having large tents that are like mini homes is a bad thing. Its just really strange when people go through all the hassle just for ONE night, setting up a very large tent.
In Korea the term "glamping" is basically taking the words glamours, and camping then smashing them together. It isn't really camping. It's a glamours style of camping in which you are showing off your status.
When we went to the campsite Yogita and I had both of our tents up in 40 mins. It took so long because we didn't understand the directions for the new tent. The pictures were wrong, and the directions where a bit vague. However, after we figured it out I am sure we could erect both tents in 20 mins, with another 10 minutes securing them if it is a windy day. The day we went it rained very heavily and our older tent had to be taken down, too much water was pooling at the base of the tent.
So will I buy a massive tent? No! But I will buy a very large tarp that I can use for extra shade and protection against heavy rain. I saw only 2 other families with tents like ours BUT they had a large tarp which kept the rain out.
Korea....glamping is kind of over kill, its just camping.
/tata
No comments:
Post a Comment