Well in this case I thought the worse had happened, maybe the graphics card overheated (it was an older card), and it blew up. It can happen. But when I removed the graphics card it was not even very hot. In addition I smelled the card and there was no burnt smell. This is a tell tale sign if hardware burns out, there is a noticeable burned smell. There wasn't in this case. So I had a slim a hope. Perhaps the Power supply unit fried (the graphics card drew more power than the old card), and perhaps the damage was limited to the PSU.
Well just like what happened in India in late 2012 when power surges took out 3 power supply units in the 3 desktops I was running at the time, I got lucky. The cheap psu I bought actually did its job. It limited the damage of the overload to only the PSU. So instead of basically replacing everything motherboard, RAM, cpu, psu, AND the gpu, I only had to replace the PSU. I always keep back up hardware ready, and now Yogita's pc is back up and running.
So the moral of the story? Your PSU is the weakest link in your PC set up. Get a good quality PSU, cause if you are a gamer it will save your wallet some day!
That is what a PSU looks like!
/tata
ps on yeah its FRIDAY!!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment