A few weeks ago I was out with Yogita in our neighborhood having some grilled meat and a drink. We overheard a group of Korean males in their 50's state "Iksan is safe from corona". They went to talk about how life should return to normal, how South Korea handled this pandemic so well.
Now, we are getting 200+ cases in the past 3 days, today it topped 300! Why? People got too relaxed. It is hot so why wear a mask? One woman saw Yogita and I and basically thanked us for wearing a mask. She then gave excuses as to why she did not want to wear one. As we parted she stated that washing the hands is enough. We both looked at her with dead pan eyes.
South can not sustain what the USA is going through right now. I take back what I said a couple weeks ago about governments not printing money. Actually they are making out of thin air to make these "bonds" or "IOUs". If Korea did the same the won would tank very fast. I wish I could get 600 bucks a week in benefits during a lockdown.
So here we are. This is not even the feared fall resurge I have been talking to Yogita about. This is people doing stupid things as if we are not living with a virus that we have no immunity to. People who feel a little under the weather and rather than get tested and self quarantine they go spread it to others.
We have returned to a limited lockdown for our family. It will last two weeks. It really sucks, but it is needed. Too bad many other people are not following suit. Some teachers treated it like a holiday. Especially public school teachers, and some English "professors". I use that term loosely because to become a professor...basically they are ESL teachers who work for Universities. That is a topic for another day.
Bottom line they traveled, held parties, basically they did not social distance at all. When a Korean super spreader the virus to 3 or 4 foreigners we all were treated as potential vectors for the virus. There have been reports of some losing jobs over just being in the same area. Lets not mention that the spreaders are in fact Korean.
Basically, everyone is just taking it easy. If this thing isn't contained....I might be out of work for a few weeks, or out of a job all together. Of course I have backup plans in place. We go over them on a weekly basis.
People need to keep vigilant!
Ok I need to make some photo copies for my last class!
/TATA
No comments:
Post a Comment