Monday, February 11, 2008

Update!

Everyone is feeling much better these days. Thanks to some much needed rest.
From today until weds. I will be very busy. I started the 7am class again. It is tough to get up early. However, I am up to the task. This weekend I want to return to Song-tan. We did some shopping there last week, during the vacation.

So far so good as far as health goes.

I should continue with what I was commenting about.
Um I should I continue..
When I first started teaching in Korea, I found that many come here just for fun. They do not really care about that they do. Now ths is not to say everyone who is here is like that...but a large number use Korea as a pit stop. This hurts the industry here and drives up cost. Firstly in Korea students can become very attached to thier teachers. When teachers leave...students leave the institute. About 5 years ago that happened when Yogita and I left...about 40-50% of our students stopped coming. With Adult students...the numbers can be much higher.

Secondly teachers feel like royalty here. So they show that they do not really care about where they work, however the work place should meet all of thier demands. Bascially selfish. Often I hear horror stories of how teachers were treated by thier bosses. I am sure some are true...but likely some of these cases the teacher bears some blame too.

If Southeast Asians come over to Korea to teach..."whiteys" you will have to shapen up. Actually...that term should not be used, many many teachers are of diverse backgrounds. I use it out of sarcasm..I basically hate the term, because it makes an unfair assumption. It is as all of the diffulties here are focused on ESL teachers. Which it is not. 90+% of the foriegners in Korea are in fact...non white.

Southeast Asians can do the same job, and likely they will have more dedication. Why? Well they will not view Korea like many westerners do. Like a temporary working vaction. Teachers party party, travel, travel, and are often broke when it is time to leave. One man comes to mind...years ago, he worked at our school. He would often boast of having a $75,000 a year job. He lost it somehow..I think budjet cutbacks...when he worked here he was ALWAYS broke. When he left...you guessed it He was so broke he got drunked and was begging other teachers for money. Yogita and I narrowly got out of that situation.

SE Asians are well known to wire money back to thier home countries. They do not come here to party...they come to work. I think they will bring a similar work ethic, that will change the way many ESL teachers carry on. If teachers from India come here....LOL They will raise the bar so high.

Many teachers here feel that they are safe..because these teachers from Asia have inferior accents. That is utter bullshit. Of course strongly accented English speaking teachers will likely not even pass an interview. However, when I visited India, many people where easy to understand, and spoke clearly and eloquently. Ok rant off. I will try to keep appraised of this situation and report here.

Take care!

Ugh....yesterday was tough...only 2 hours of sleep....

Jeyo

p.s...i will edit this later...spellcheck is not working at the school...

No comments: