Uh so if you play starcraft you will understand what I mean. Today I have finally put my old dual core system back online. It is old by dual core standards. It is still nice in my opinion. It can handle heavy loads nicely...multiple programs better than my AMD Turion 64x2.
Mike replied to my post asking about Dell pcs. I only have to say this. Buy what you will really need. A "slow" pc is not exactly slow. It might be over burdened. You have installed dozens of programs that now you dont use. However, your cpu will load them, and place them in RAM. Now if you do not have alot of Ram. Your computer will take Hard drive space, and use it as a place to store information. We call this "virtual ram". It is "virtual" in the fact that it is not the same as REAL ram. RAM, or random access memory is FAST. Sdram, ddr sdram, ddr2 sdram....higher you get the faster your ram is. That means programs will run faster. HOWEVER, the speed is limited to how much of this "short term" memory. Basically RAM only holds information while your pc is one. Once it is off...that information is lost. Unlike HDD's that store information magnetically, Ram holds it in the state of a electric charge.
SO. First. You want upgrade..you feel you pc is too slow. If you have some restore software...use, after backing up your data of course. IF after doing this...and you use your pc as you want to use it and it seems slow...then upgrade.
If you are using a pentium 4 or equivalent AMD system.......and you feel your system is slow even after using your restore software (which returns your pc back to the orginal state you bought it in), you might want to multitask, and your noticing your pc slowing down.
Single core cpus line up task on after another. Dual core...takes this to a whole new level, while triple, and quad core.....multitasking could not be easier.
SO MIke. What cpu do you have? WHat do you want to use the pc for? Did you restore it to the same condition when you bought it? Usually those new pcs seem so fast when we bought them, however they tend to slow down over to time.
Where you using a single core (I think you might have), if so...then jump on the dual core bandwagon. If you opt for dell, do not run after the most expensive cpu, or one the higher end dual cores. If you are not a gamer...your wasting your money. Also...pay close attention to ram. I just doubled my pc's ram from 2gigs to 4 gigs (I am a gamer). I bought the first 2 gigs, at about 90 bucks...the most recent 2 gigs... 21 bucks. SO if i spent 90 bucks now...I would get....6 gigs!!! I could go as high as 8 gigs! Basically if a system is cheap and you notice it had only 1 gig of ram....see how much it cost to put in an extra chip...say 1gig or a 2 gig chip. It might make your Dell purchase that much easier.
So bottom line, Mike...go for which brand you feel most comfortable with. If you like Dell make sure you are not throwing money away on extra ram. You are not paying for the extra ram...your paying for the service, and manpower of installing, plus a nice little extra profit. Hdd space....this is cheap. 250-320 gigs......dirt cheap these days. Send me the price and the model you want to buy Mike, along with what uses you want for the pc, or laptop.
Ok tata!!!
1 comment:
I'm going to try and restore my CPU. I have a Gateway. I also have some programs I could delete. I'll do that and let you know
Post a Comment