I have a strange habit when it comes to my computers. I name them. Every single one has a name. Usually the name has some back story or reasoning behind the name. One laptop a gaming laptop I purchased back in 2018 from a friend of mine. We both named it "THE BEAST".
The specs were top of the line back in 2012. It can run dual GPUs in sli mode. It can have 3 hhds or ssds in it. The screen is 18 inches. It is massive. The CPU is of course an i7 3rd gen. I love this machine. I can clean it, trouble shoot it, and upgrade it so easily.
So here I am in 2021 running a system that is 9 years old and it runs like a champ! It runs Archeage, and EVE online very well. However, more demanding games from say 2016 and on would cause THE BEAST to throttle the GPU. Actually this GPU is really nice as well. It is a GTX 680m with 4 gigs of vram. I have a slot where I can put another one in but I do not want to have to deal with the heat issues it would have.
It is so funny reading posts on the internet today about using 9th or 10th gen cpus for gaming when all you really need is an older 3rd gen i7 CPU with the fastest ddr3 ram, and a GTX 1060, 1070, or 1080 GPU, and you will get very performance at full HD (1080p). Now if you want to game at resolutions higher than that, then you need ddr4 with RTX GPUs and the newer CPUs. Actually, new CPUs are nicer as they use less power.
Ok I have to go!
Walking has been slower this week. I am at about 2100 calories burned. I hope to get that to about 2600 today. We will see.
/tata
No comments:
Post a Comment