Thursday, October 20, 2005

Some wedding pics!!




Here is a photo of a couple we know one is a teacher (the lady) and her fiance who is a friend of ours.

Actually they are both friends of ours. They will be getting married on Nov. 12th.

Koreans tend to marry in their late 20's to early 30's. Many will live with thier parents until that time. It was not uncommon for on of myt students (male in his mid 30's but single) get a phone call from his mother, ask him when he would be returning home.

When I first arrived here I thought that is was funny, inside I would laugh...I mean..your 30....and at home with Mom and Dad?? I have seen so many people in thier 30's living with thier parents that is seems...normal...

There are many things that Koreans do that are different from what Americans, or Indians do. Yogita and I talk about it all the time. Somethings we have grown accustomed to, while others...well...lets just say we dislike it strongly, but say nothing.

For example...it is not uncommon, actually it is VERY common to see toddlers in the front seat in the lap of the driver. Sometimes I have seen the parents, or grandparents playing with child, as they are waiting for a traffic light.

Imagine a toddler playing in the front seat, with no restraining system just having a jolly ole' time. Or a young child doing the same.
On our way to Pusan (actually we have taken that route twice) we have seen etched in chalk on the highway (up in the mountains) the outline of 2 cars (the locataion of their wheels usually, in Korea in the event of an accident your required to use spray paint to outline location of your car..so if you see spray paint you know there was an accident...I think it is for legal reasons...), and that of a small body...likely some baby that some had riding shotgun.

Well not take away from the couple here in the picture they look very happy together and we wish them all the best!

No comments: