Saturday, February 27, 2021

Drinking...

 Living in East Asia drinking alcohol is something that is more open than in the west. It annoys me when I hear westerners say "Oh I only drink so so, and I never drink too much". Usually, this is a flat-out lie. Most westerners that I have met told one story that seems universal in the world of drinking in the west. That is underage drinking. When I was a teen I NEVER drank. Plain and simple. I NEVER touched drugs. I am not a saint. I wanted to try weed. I still would like to try it. It seems like a naturally growing plant that has many medicinal and erm "fun" side effects. 

In the human body during the teenage years, the organs of the body are still developing. One core amazing organ is the liver. It can replace its mass (stem cells are amazing in this organ). I think that when people drink at a young age. I do not mean taking a sip here and there. I mean blackout-style binge drinking reduces the livers "self-healing" abilities. Teens tend to slam drinks down in quick succession. I can only imagine what it is doing to the liver. 

Fast forward. I enjoy whiskey.  I can drink it enjoy it and here is a shocker...I get NO HANGOVER. I do however suffer if I drink beyond my limit. I will not mention it here but it has surprised everyone I know.

EVERYONE mentions it. I read a study that stated about 23% of people might have what could be called a "super liver" or they simply do not get hangovers like other people.

In South Korea, a common sight is drunk people (mostly men) stumbling home. In most places in America if the police saw you in that state they would take you to jail for the night. You will likely end up getting charged as well. 

Underage drinking in South Korea is prevalent too. I also think that it results in weaker livers when these teens hit adulthood. 

A common situation for me: Wow, Jemal you do not look drunk! Me: Uh yeah I feel fine. The next day: my boss (also a friend) looking terrible...Ugh Jemal...are you ok? Wait, you look normal?! Me: Huh? Oh yeah, we had a few drinks yesterday, yeah I'm fine.

Interactions like the above have happened throughout my time in Korea.

My advice if one of your friends has a "super liver" do not judge them and assume they are alcoholics.

Very likely they may have started drinking at a later time than you did. Or they just have good genes in that department. We all have strengths and weaknesses. One thing I tell those I drink with...do not try to match me, it is NOT A COMPETITION. Our health is one of the few things we have some influence over. 

/tata

No comments: