Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Should African Americans get reparations?

 It is hard to understand why some things keep coming up. One thing it does do is promote a them and us feeling. I will not answer the question of reparations. I will say that it makes me feel even more alien in America. I mean there are so many ethnic groups that have suffered in America. 

I am not saying that we should just move on. However, we need to acknowledge that we are not united at all. We all seem to identify with whatever ethnic group, skin color we deem ourselves to belong to. This is indoctrinated into us when we are young, and throughout our education. 

American has serious issues with racism, classism, sexism, the list could go on and on. A black man was arrested for doing what? Walking down the street in a blizzard. We hear more about issues relating to people of color because it is so sensationally ugly. It generates clicks, and that means ad revenue goes up. I am not saying Americans of African descent are not having serious disproportionate issues (was a victim of this). However, the ugly story of police brutality is much larger than just darker Americans. 

Should African Americans receive reparations? How about we stop it with the stupid labeling by color or genetic lineage. We are Americans period. Should descendants of slaves get a cash payout? Let the American people decide. Do not use this as another way to create more guilt and anger. We should use the past as an education for the future. A way to combat fear which leads to hate. 

/tata

No comments: