Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Living abroad for over 20 years...

 What can I say? I love what I do. Ever since I travelled to England in 1999 it changed my life forever. When I traveled and settled in I found out that language is much more complex. I actually cried in my room during the second week of my stay. I could not understand the English accent. I told myself that I need to get with the program because I could not just quit. 

So I decided to go out and make friends, and learn British English. Well, my brain did an awesome job once I stopped holding it back. I made friends EVERYWHERE. I learned a bit about English culture. I was only there for 6 months. However, what I learned made we want to stay there forever. My love attraction, and fascination with Asia drew me here. 

Once I married and we figured out a way to make ends meet, we stayed here. I can not imagine a life where I stayed in Philadelphia. I dream of Lucknow, Seoul, Iksan, Gunsan, Hyderabad, Mumbai, London, Hong Kong, Osaka, Seok-cho, Manchester and so many other cities. This represents only a few countries. However, I do not believe in back packing....... I believe in living and breathing a new location. 

Overall it has been easier than many who discouraged me 21 years ago thought. Fools who did not know where South Korea was. Fools who said "But you do not know anyone there" when I was headed to England. If your heart yearns to live in a place far from where you were born...go for it. You never know who you will meet. I met the love of my life and now we have two wonderful boys. Of course we are living in times that are difficult to deal with. There are so many "isms" we live with now. Recently violence towards people of Asian descent is in the media. People of non-white descent have ALL experienced crap due to our skin color. That is a topic for another day!

Walking has been good last week we took break on Wednesday but still clocked 31 kms. This week ought to be 34 or 35kms.

/tata

No comments: