Wednesday, September 07, 2022

A Wednesday Thursday

Since we got our current car I have been able to get to my work place extra early. This reminds of Gunsan when I was the one opening the school most days. I would often have time to make post on this blog. 
As this is a short week with middle day of the week will feel odd towards the end of this work day. 
One thing that I have seen in my over 22 years of teaching experience, and working life is that people like to "stretch the truth". For example people that I meet in Gunsan who know my wife and I but are not close to us often tell us a more truthful account of thier time here in South Korea, and how many years they have spent teaching here. Actually, many of them do not see it as a badge of honor. Some are even embarrassed, feeling like they could not be successful "back home". 
I often tell these ones a job is a means to an end. If it helps you support yourself then keep supporting yourself. Others will view you as they want to view you. No matter what we say or do, others will still view us in the way they want to. We can not change that.
However, my boss comes to mind as the other group. The ones who look to the time spent working in South Korea as a badge of honor. Since I met him he has told me his school has been open for 11 years. However, after working here and signing my 4th contract they are celebrating the 10th year anniversary of running thier school. Huh? You see the truth has a way of always coming out. When I arrived likely they were in year 6. They had rapid success, opened two locations. They sold one location to another person and had a bad falling out. It split the community down to this day. Sometimes the simple truth is best. So many people that I meet have only been here for about 10 years max. Most seem to have arrived in and around 2010. Now, I was told an exaggeration. Usually, this is done to impress others. I know I have done it. Bragged about this and that. What a fool I was. So does it really matter? No! All those involved are doing well. They might not have peace with everyone from those days. However, trying to impress others I have learned, is sowing treasure in this world. This current system of things. It is said in the bible that those doing so will get their reward in full. They really do! When poeple say "waaahh", or "woooow"! My wife I and I were at a party and people were bragging about gifts they got from students. We get gifts ALL OF THE TIME.
We looked at each other and kept our mouths shut. I have learned striving to be humble, being mild, and kind feels so  much better. 
So my thoughts are to show off is a form of foolishness. 
My thoughts today. 

/tata

No comments: