Actually this is more of a story of 3 people, a married couple, and Philipina. The husband's name is Jay which is a nickname. It is really funny when I ask people in Korea why they chose a particular nickname. Some people mention favorite actors, or a former English teacher gave them the name (I am guilty of this as well!). Anyway, when I asked Jay why he chose that name he mentioned that foreigners have a hard time pronuncing his name. I do not remember his name but....it was not difficult to say, nor was it hard on the tongue.
When I met Jay he first attended a class that was not suitable for his level. He kept interupting other students, and giving feedback! I of course had to keep cutting him off. Eventually I had to tell him directly that he needs to stop, he is making others uncomfortable. His attitude spoke "teacher! very loudly. So when he was asked what he did, and he acted very coyly, saying that it was a "secret" I told him I know exactly what your job is....I just don't know which subject your responsible for.
Anyway, I was annoyed, and after class I told him not to attend, the level was not suitable for him. I reccomended another class. His listened to my advice, and told me he would try out that class the next day. So the next day he comes in with a pretty Philipina on his arm. They looked like a couple, standing very close together, she kept hitting him playfully, and refering to him by his nickname..Jay. It was the way she said it that made all of us in the class blink twice. It was as if my wife was calling me, it was intimate. He even spoke about he dislikes Korean women, and prefers foreign women....note: No one ask him about his preference he just blurted it out. In class they leaned towards each other going over the photo copy of the page we were studying. She woud scold him (in a cute way) if he made a mistake.
The next mornng he attends my morning class, with the Philipina in tow, and I had a tall lanky woman join my class that day as well. The class was progressing well, and I was about to introduce Jay and the Philipina (who has an American father...), when the tall lanky woman I think her name is Ju, spoke up and mentioned that Jay was her husband. Now the seating order was like this, Jay was sitting VERY close to the Philipina like he was doing yesterday. The flirting was a bit toned down, I thought it had to do with well....it was in the morning, perhaps they were too tired for the hormones to be running wild. However, when the tall lanky woman who I now knew was Jay's wife spoke up, my other students were shocked.
The funny thing is they didn't seem to notice the shock on our collective faces yep, my jaw was hanging open along with my other students. The Phililpina I forgot her name realized how odd they looked. She then said that she helps Jay with his English since he has great difficulty with the language. HUH?! Jay did have issues, poor vocabulary, I had to often stop him and correct him as I found that his listening comprehension was weak as well. However, he DID NOT need a tutor, or should I say translator. The wife was nodding while this exchange went on. They studied at our ESL school for month. They were so STRANGE. Yogita and I finally figured out that yes something odd was going on between Jay, and the girl. We found this out due to her profile picture and messages. Her profile picture would have a picture of them both. When something bad happened between she posted this message "I am so sad but I have to let you go". She wanted to meet with us and talk, but we were busy at that time.
Figured out that she is actually a maid/babysitter who teaches adult and Elementary kids English. We also found out that they wanted to teach adults in same way we did, and they were actually spying on us to learn our techniques. Ju, Jay's wife would ask me odd questions like how would you teach this type of student? Or ask me questions about company classes, test prep classes. I never answered and simply said "it is a secret" with a fake wide smile.
The reason why I am bringing this up because yesterday we saw them at the same resturant. They gave my students, and yogita the cold shoulder. I am sure that they are embarrassed because we know why they were buddy buddy with us. The spies! LOL But in all seriousness who cares?! I know that the Philipina pretends to be American (her father is American) but she has a Philipino passport. I know that she is basically a maid, many Philipinas working in South Korea do suck work. I am not going to judge a person based on what they do for a living. I have no businesses judging anyone!!
If I see them again (At the time I was too preoccupied with my steak), I will go up to them say "Hi Ju" "HI Jay" ask the Philipina what her name is greet her and walk away. In South Korea some foreigners act like saying hello to a another expat will kill them. Odd Balls!!! LOL
/tata
No comments:
Post a Comment