Thursday, March 05, 2009

Thursday.....

This was a long week for me. Tuesday night the car center owners wife let me use her car for the day. It is a Daewoo lanos. Great fuel mileage but basically a really sucky ride. No acceleration, no options inside, and a stuck radio antenna.

That antenna got me into trouble later. You see I arrived in Seo-chon, locked the car and when to class. Now the radio antenna is stuck. The motor keeps trying to pull in back inside. Well after about 6hours...battery died. I felt like such an ass! I knew my current boss is not like my old boss. She would have gone out of her way to help me.

So I knew I was on my own. Poor Yogita was busy interviewing students for a new class. So she was stressed as what she could do to help was limited too. Well finally I decided...lets talk to the police. Now in Korea many foreigners complain that the police will not help foreigners, and will give them a hard time. That is NOT what happened with me. They were very very nice about it all. Typically you just call your auto insurance company and they give you a jump. However, the car was not my car and could not locate the number. Also even if I could they might have a problem coming out since..I am not on the insurance policy.

So in broken Korean (understanding 90% of what they were saying), they perfectly understood that a friend loaned me their car. I offered the cell number so that they could verify my story, and I had my id card ready. They just said..."dont worry, we trust you where is the car?" We talked about teaching English, and about how one of the police officers used to teach English before joining the force. The asked me about my family, what did I think of Soe-chon.

All in all it was a great experience. But it made that day (tuesday) seem like Wednesday. Thursdays seem to "catch me up though".

Next post will be an update on our rugrats!

jeyo

No comments: